Pages

Stay Connected

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Pasta e Ceci (Ditalini with Chick Peas)

Pasta e Ceci or pasta with beans, was considered a "poor man's meal" in Italy as it combined simple, bountiful ingredients. To me, this dish was exquisite, filling and packed with aromatic flavors. I REALLY wish I had made a double batch of this recipe, it was THAT good!

Unfortunately, I only got to taste a few spoonfuls since the entire batch was made to be split between my hubby and daughter for their dinner since they would be working late this particular evening. I literally picked up my daughter from cheering practice, made this recipe and photographed it in the time it took her to shower and get ready for work.

Pasta e Ceci is such a simple, quick recipe to prepare and you can substitute vegetable broth if you follow a vegetarian diet. My daughter wound up eating this in the car on her way to the office instead of waiting to eat it for dinner because it smelled so good and she couldn't resist. Now they can't wait for me to make this recipe again!




Pasta e Ceci (Ditalini with Chick Peas)
Prep Time: 10 minutes                   Yield: 3
Cook Time: 20 minutes                  Servings: 1 cup
Total Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients

  • 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1/4 c. Red Onion, chopped
  • 1/4 c. Celery, chopped
  • 2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
  • 1 15-ounce Can Chick Peas, rinsed
  • 1/4 c. Crushed Tomatoes (I used San Marzano)
  • 2 tsp. Fresh Parsley, chopped
  • 2 tsp. Fresh Rosemary, chopped
  • 2 c. Low Sodium/Fat Free Chicken Broth
  • 1 c. Ditalini Pasta, dry (I used Barilla)
  • 1/4 c. Asiago Cheese, shredded
  • Kosher Salt, to taste
  • Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste

Directions

  1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat and add in the onion, celery, and garlic. Saute for 3-5 minutes allowing the vegetables to soften. 
  2. Pulse 1 cup of the chick peas in a mini food processor or blender; then add them to the saucepan along with the remaining whole chick peas, tomatoes, parsley, rosemary, chicken broth and pasta. 
  3. Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes, then add in the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
Enjoy! 



Nutrition Facts
Calories 399 , Carbs 64.1g, Fat 9.4g, Protein 15.6g, Fiber 7.5g, Sugar 4.2g
*Calculations based on ingredients entered into Calorie Count and may not be 100% accurate.






2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a simple, yet fabulous combo -- no wonder your daughter ate it in the car! I've been known to do the same. :) I foresee that double batch happening for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right..thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis