Pages

Stay Connected

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Spinach, Mushroom & Brie Stuffed Tomatoes

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Such is the case with these Spinach, Mushroom & Brie Stuffed Tomatoes. I first experimented with these about 2 weeks ago because I had a small piece of Brie, a handful of spinach and some ripe tomatoes that needed to be used up. The recipe was AMAZING and the family devoured them. However, sometimes my photo skills aren't quite what I'd like them to be and this is the photo I wound up with. I made them too late in the day and the natural lighting was gone as it started raining. And, they just didn't look appetizing. I tried. I really did.

So being a food blogger, what did I do? 

I made the ultimate sacrifice and made them again of course. Just for you. 

Oh who am I kidding...I was happy to make them again! 

This time, my preteen had her friend over for dinner so I had her as an extra taste tester as well. She started out with half because she wasn't sure she would like them, but then quickly returned for the other half. That speaks volumes in my book! I told you...AMAZING!

The first time I made this recipe I used Roma tomatoes, which are my preference. However, they didn't have hearty ones this time around at my local market, so I used a standard, round garden tomato. I also had to purchase more Brie, so I'll have to use that up in a new recipe next. Any suggestions or requests?


Spinach, Mushroom & Brie Stuffed Tomatoes
Prep Time:  15 minutes                     Yield: 4
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes                Serving: 1 each
Total Time:  30-35 minutes
Ingredients
  • 4 Fresh Garden Tomatoes
  • 1 c. Mushrooms, small dice
  • 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
  • 1 Scallion, chopped
  • 1 c. Packed Baby Spinach, washed, stems removed and torn into smaller pieces
  • 1/2 c.+/- Italian Breadcrumbs
  • 2 oz. Brie Cheese, small dice
  • 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  2. Place your tomatoes on a flat surface, slicing a thin slice off of the bottom if necessary so it sits flat; then take a sharp knife and cut a circle in the top of the tomato. Remove the inside and even out the inside of the tomato shell. 
  3. Chop the tomato pulp and place in a bowl; then add the mushrooms, garlic, scallions, spinach, breadcrumbs and cheese. Mix well. (You may need to adjust your breadcrumbs if the mixture is too dry/moist, it depends on how much tomato pulp/juice each tomato yields). 
  4. Stuff the tomato mixture into the tomato shells and place in an oven safe baking dish. 
  5. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the breading is lightly brown. 
Enjoy! 


Nutrition Facts
Calories 164, Carbs 16.8g, Fat 8.6g, Protein 6.3g, Fiber 2.2g, Sugar 1.3g
*Calculations based on ingredients entered into Calorie Count and may not be 100% accurate. 

Enjoy! 




Spinach, Mushroom & Brie Stuffed Tomatoes Shopping List

4 comments:

  1. These look delicious and perfect for a party! Can't wait to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. I've been playing around with roasted tomato recipes but I seem to be eating them before I can take a photo. Oh, well, I guess I'll have to make the big sacrifice of making them again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling Anita. The life of a food blogger and the sacrifices we must make. heehee Have a good week! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Please leave a comment below.

ShareThis